TARANGO (A Women Development Organization) is a non-profit, national level, voluntary development organization. It was established in 1989 envisioning Women’s empowerment in the society.
Establishment of a just and poverty-free society through women’s empowerment.
TARANGO is a voluntary non-government organization which dreams of, and desires to, contribute to the establishment of a just and poverty-free society by organizing and training the most disadvantaged women through its committed, dedicated and skilled workers. It further aims to make the women resourceful, skilled and production oriented by assisting them to develop their human potential and talents to promote leadership and entrepreneurship in order to take up the responsibilities of sustainable economic activities to establish a self-reliant and gender-balanced society
Principal Components of TARANGO:
TARANGO is a large organization, with many programmes and projects on the go at all times. Over the years, more initiative and activities have been added to our vision of empowering the women of Bangladesh. Our major programmes are: the Handicrafts Program, ASROY - Safe Home for women and their children, the Women Entrepreneurship Development Program, the Village Savings and Loan Association, and the Women Institutional Development project.
TARANGO also offers:
- Savings, micro-credit and income generation activity development
- Project design and participatory research
- Gender training for families
- Human rights promotion
- Leadership training
- Awareness raising covering the negative impact of discrimination and violence against women, dowry, environmental degradation and deforestation, etc.
- Building capacity for trainer’s in entrepreneurship development for semi and non-literate module
Development projects of TARANGO:
Together with some of our bigger programmes, we also run a number of smaller projects. These projects normally last only a few years, and have a smaller scope than our main programmes. These projects include the Mother and Child Health Care Support Program, the Student Support Program, the Golden Fiber: Sustainable livelihood for jute growers and producers project, the “Jute-an eco-friendly alternative for a sustainable future” project, and Establishing Fair Trade Handicraft Business for Indigenous Community in Bandarban,
- ECOTA – National Fair Trade Network of Bangladesh
- World Fair Trade Organization (WFTO), ID No # 643 from June’09
- Bangla Craft-National Handicraft Producers and Exporters Association
- Women Leadership Forum
Aim of TARANGO in near future:
- Expand Handicraft Market in home and abroad.
- Initiate different projects for Livelihood Development and Economic Empowerment.
- Explore Business education for Economic empowerment in home and abroad specially for non-semiliterate
- Explore VSL approach for won managed Savings and Loan Associations.
Work experience with other organizations:
TARANGO has been working with other development organizations at home and abroad, such as, GiZ, CARE Afghanistan, IRC Afghanistan, MARCY Crops Afghanistan, ILO Dhaka, CDMP. TARANGO has even won an award for our jute products.
Registration number and date:
a) Social Welfare Registration No. DH-02563/91
b) FD Registration No. 784/93,
c) MRA, Certificate No- 01152-01809-00523, 22 Aug 2010
Working Areas: Our working areas are Dinajpur, Barisal, Gopalgonj, Faridpur, Gazipur, Tangail, Cox’s Bazar, Bandarban, Lalmonirhat, and Dhaka districts.
Staff Strength: 128 (Male: 39 Female: 89)
Number of beneficiaries involved with the organization: 25,000 (approx.)
Governing Board and Management: There are 27 (twenty-seven) members including-social workers, teachers, businessman, etc. in the General Board, and out of those 9 (nine) members are acting as an Executive Committee for policy making.